Las Piedras is known for its grave soil; this Beckstoffer Heritage vineyard traced its roots back to the original Mexican land grants more than 150 years ago.
In the 1840’s European settler, Edward Bale planted the property, a wedding gift to him and his wife from General Vallejo to the great Mission grapes. It became the first vineyard planted in what is now the St. Helena appellation.
The vineyard was first planted to wine grape varietals by Henry Amstutz, a colleague of Henry Pallet, one of California’s first great winemakers, who established one of the first wineries in the Valley on the adjoining property in 1860. In 1983 Beckstoffer Vineyards purchased the property and planted it to two clones of Cabernet Sauvignon. Impressed with the quality of the gravelly soil, the farm workers named the vineyard Las Piedras, which means little pebbles.
This 300-acre parcel was first purchased by Beaulieu founder Georges de Latour in 1928 and achieved wide acclaim in the 1960’s and 70’s, establishing pre-eminence of Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. Purchased by Beckstoffer Vineyards in 1988, the vineyard has since been replanted using new Cabernet Sauvignon clones with tighter spacing and advanced trellising systems, enhancing both quality and grape tonnage.